Wednesday, January 16, 2008

a game of cat and mouse

an absolutely purrrfect tale of a mouse that outfoxes the most pretentious and pompous mr. maxwell, a cat whose arrogance sets a new gold standard! written in 2004 by frank asch and illustrated by his son devin asch.

I first heard about this book in december of 2006 when npr's scott simon interviewed daniel pinkwater for his recommendation of that year's best holiday books for kids. I originally ordered the book to give as a gift, but when it arrived and I read the story (and was drawn in by it's wonderful gorey-ish drawings) I simply could not part with it. along with mr. maxwell's mouse, I ordered another book from mr. pinkwater's 2006 list, 365 penguins, I did regretfully part with this book and gave it to the intended child. however, should I stumble on a copy of 365 penguins for sale at some bookstore, I will buy it to add to the children's book library at avenue c.

No comments: