Wednesday, April 23, 2008

a wonderful place to visit!

april is national poetry month, so the mouse decided to highlight just a few of the many books for kids celebrating verse.

the first book I posted on mouse medicine for pinkys, pups, and kittens is a visit to william blake's inn by nancy willard and illustrated by alice and martin provensen. this wonderful book introduces children to the poetry and magic of william blake by taking the reader to an imaginary inn populated by a most amazing collection of individuals.

nancy willard was inspired by william blake’s songs of innocence and songs of experience. in 1982 this book won the newbery medal for children's literature and was a caldecott honor book.

4 comments:

jenclair said...

I love William Blake! I've heard of this one, but have never read it, but I'd love to see the illustrations of his poems.

Gary said...

Kimy,

I am wondering if I knew about this book but forgot about it or if it is new but whatever THANK YOU for posting it. We are embarking on a poetry unit at the moment and if I could use my dear Blake I would be in heaven. I am going to hunt this book down. Thanks again for sharing.

Gary said...

I just ordered it off Amazon.com for only $7.00! Yippee.

Gary said...

Kimy -

I got the book this weekend and LOVE it. I am using The Wise Cow Enjoys a Cloud as the poem of the week next week.

Thanks again!