Thursday, August 21, 2008

theme day: wing

When books are opened you discover that you have wings.
Helen Hayes (1900-1993), american stage and film actor


be a high flyer read a book!! when you are thinking about buying books think seriously about supporting your local independent bookseller!!

in the cleveland area we still have a few independent bookstores. high on my list is the crooked river reading club the only independent bookshop in downtown cleveland. the proprietor gail is a very knowledgeable, friendly, and community oriented bookseller. I always enjoy chatting with her and always walk away with feeling happier and feeling as if I've learned something that will enhance my life! gail is most happy to help you find just the right book and will happily place a special order when she doesn't have the book you desire in stock. although I'm trying hard to use the library instead of buying books for my own reading pleasure, when I give gifts, I still prefer to give a book - when you give a book you give someone the gift of flight!

crooked river reading club is located in the galleria at erieview at 1301 E 9th St. click here to find your way.

a relatively new independent bookstore in cleveland is visible voice books located at 1023 kenilworth avenue in the tremont neighborhood of cleveland. visible voice sponsored this year's bloomsday event and it was the first time I visited the bookstore. I wish it was in my neighborhood, I'd be in all the time - for is is way, way more than simply a bookstore. check out the link and see all the happening stuff happening at visible voice! to find your way there click here

since I just got back for a few days in nyc, I thought I'd mention another wonderful indy bookshop we stumbled on in the park slope neighborhood of brooklyn. unnameable books featuring both new and used books. it's located at 456 bergen street, between 5th and flatbush

3 comments:

Wanderer said...

that top pic is QUITE lovely.

dennis said...

Dennis likes a good book.


you wondered about something...

Moon was the name, and the guess

was jellybean which was the nickname of the other.

Michael Francis said...

Is Crooked River Reading Club still there and open for business? Coming to the Westin next month and looking for something to do. I can always waste time in a bookstore. Any others nearby that you know of?