Thursday, February 5, 2009

theme thursday: statue



today the blogosphere is celebrating statues on theme thursday. unfortunately, I've been neglecting the cleveland bookmouse and perhaps I should try and remedy that.

I have a few photos of statues of famous authors in my photo archive, unfortunately I didn't think of this until late this afternoon. this is the only one I could quickly find!

this statue of oscar wilde was snapped in a park in dublin. I few years ago I read a very entertaining mystery by walter satterthwait called wilde west. here's a blurb from publishers weekly:
In this perfect blend of mystery, satire and travelogue, Satterthwait ( At Ease with the Dead ) follows Oscar Wilde in his 1882 lecture tour through the American West. Wilde greatly amuses his audiences and Elizabeth McCourt Doe in particular, initiating a torrid (and to the reader, surprising) affair with her. Meanwhile U.S. marshal Bob Grigsby connects a series of murders and eviscerations of prostitutes to the cities where Wilde has delivered his disquisitions and accuses the writer of the crimes. Wilde steers the hard-drinking marshal to the other members of his tour, including an alcoholic reporter, a slick-talking business manager, a sophisticated countess, a frail valet, a retired Prussian officer and even gunslinger John "Doc" Holliday, who has been following the tour. Wilde and Elizabeth narowly escape being killed by cowboys to whom Wilde's wit is no laughing matter, but the identity of the serial killer is not revealed until the harrowing resolution. One more surprise waits in the wings, and its delivery is just as smooth as those that the playwright himself once put to paper.



after I read this book I checked out of the library another book by satterthwait and read it - that book was called escapade - the book was another historical mystery, this time featuring harry houdini and sir arthur conan doyle. it was a stitch. I don't know if satterthwait has written anything else - well I guess he has since the blurb above mentions a book I'm unfamiliar with...I'll have to do a search, I hadn't thought of him in a while - my memory was jogged by thinking of oscar. speaking of oscar wilde, if you are ever in paris, make sure you check out his grave.....like wilde, it is a wild experience - I written about it a couple times on the mouse - you can go here and here.

No comments: