Wednesday, January 23, 2008

purrrrrfect

cat power (2007) by daniel kirk - new book by the author of the marvelous the library mouse

I was hunting for a copy of the library mouse to give as a gift but no mouse was to be found instead another delightful book (albeit very, very different) by the same author. a wonderful read aloud book - the book actually comes with a cd where the poems/songs are set to music.

the poem/song hunter

I am a hunter
my senses are keen
Rats find me frightening
birds say I am mean

I'm sharp eyed, lighting clawed,
wealthy in stealth
mice declare I'm no good for their health

To wait by the bushes
to stake out a nest,
to hunt is my nature
it's what I do best!

It's my purpose, my fate, my joy and my habit
to sneak up on my prey
and then
simply
NAB IT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, Dennis will really like this poem, I'll have to wake him up and send him over.

Bobby D. said...

Actually rats scare me--have you seen NY rats? and I'm just a six and a half pound cat!

Gary said...

I am a huge fan of Daniel Kirk's other book "Dogs Rule!" I am loving catching up on all of your book recommendations! What a treasure trove you have here.