Monday, February 4, 2008

stitching stories

in my book, faith ringgold is an artist and author extraordinaire. if you are unfamiliar with her books for children the this is the perfect time to get to know her and read some of her stories to the children in your village.

given that february is black history month I recommend dinner at aunt connie's house and aunt harriet's underground railroad in the sky. along with introducing readers to a pantheon of famous african-american women these books bring a bit of magical realism into the world of children's literature.



I first got to know faith during the 1980s through her art quilts only later did I discover that she is also author of some of fabulous children's books. faith's quilts are unique and inspiring, in her quilts she combines painting, traditional quilt techniques and storytellling. within the african-american community narrative quilts have a long and powerful history. this month there's a new play which is opening at the cleveland playhouse on the quilters of gee's bend. the story of the women of gee's bend is yet another tale both unique and inspiring - I can't wait to check out the play.

cassie's word quilt (2002) art and words by faith ringgold.

to learn more about faith ringgold visit her at her website - click here!

1 comment:

Susan Harwood said...

Hello

I thought I would let you know about

BRICKS IN THE CAVE

which is an illustrated adventure story for children.

I would be very pleased if you were to let me know what you think of it.

Susan Harwood