Wednesday, February 13, 2008

year of the rat

for those who are interested in celebrating the year of the rat by getting a little more familiar with the natural history of brother rat, the bookmouse recommends two. the first book is for the 'mature' reader, rats: observations on the history and habitat of the city's most unwanted inhabitants by robert sullivan (2004) has the uncanny ability to create both respect and repulsion.



the second book, oh rats! (2006) by albert marrin is aimed at younger readers (grades 3-6), but truth be told anyone interested in the subject will be pleased. unlike sullivan's book, this book is wonderfully illustrated by c.d. mordan (major disappointment with sullivan's book - NO PICTURES!) the collection of interesting facts and the incredible history about the rat will is simply amazing. will some cultures venerate the rat, others try and eradicate the rat. but friend or foe, the rat does deserves attention!

3 comments:

KRCampbellArt said...

This is my first visit to your blog. So interesting. I'm going to read one of your 'rat' recommendations. Recent viewing of Ratatouille aside. Thank you for the suggestions!

Avid Reader said...

Chedwick turned me on to the rat book by Sullivan one summer. Fascinating reading. I kept thinking--I am so glad this guy did this research and got this book published--all the while I was enjoying it.

Do you have any book suggestions for my new blog? I am thinking it will be all essays and excerpts from books about women, their struggles and their triumphs.

I would really appreciate any ideas you might have.

jenclair said...

Another "rat" book - Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents!